Sunday, August 17, 2008

Salt Tasting Room

Salt Tasting Room has an interesting concept - no kitchen, just meats, cheeses, bread, condiments, desserts, wines, beers, etc. It was awesome, incredibly so. I forgot to take pictures in the restaurant so unfortunately all I have now is some pictures of the papers they gave us, and some really awful cell phone pictures, which unfortunately I am having some trouble uploading. I'll edit this when I have a better connection.

The location in Gastown, at 45 Blood Alley, was interesting. When we arrived a wedding party was taking photos. The surrounding streets were posh, but the alley was, well, an alley. That part of Gastown is slightly on the edge of a not-s0-great area of Vancouver, as we found out when we walked back and got slightly turned around. Okay, hobbled back.

We each ordered a tasting plate, Human # 1 and I had our plates paired with wine flights, while Human # 3 had a big bear beer bottle with her tasting plate. We shared two desserts - a sublime Stilton cheesecake (and I think I licked the plate), and a chocolate mousse over a layer of apricot preserves. The chocolate mousse was very, very good, and the salt crystals on top were sublime. That said, it was simply classic French chocolate mousse, well executed, but not special. The Stilton cheesecake, on the other hand, was beautiful, layers of flavor and an amazing texture.

I chose my own cheeses. I chose a tallegio, an Italian semi soft dessert cheese, which was paired with a dry Italian red, Renato Fenocchio Dolcetto. Next I had an Oka, which was new to me. It's a semi-soft nutty cheese from Quebec. This particular cheese had a round, creamy, fatty mouth feel. The cheese was paired with a sherry, Alvears Amontillado. While I appreciated it, I have to admit I didn't really care for the sherry. It was just a bit too sweet for me. Finally, I had a beautiful, creamy Brie from British Columbia, paired with a lovely steel-aged Chardonnay from British Columbia, Joie Un-Oaked Chardonnay, which I found crisp and refreshing, despite a hint of residual sugar.

Human # 1 ordered the BC plate and BC wine flight. Salt chose the foods and the wines, illustrating the best of local foodstuffs. Toscano Salami with cipollini onions was paired with Joie Chardonnay. Though I really liked the Joie, Human # 1 hated it, and described it as apple juice. Ironically he likes the residual sugar and I love the dry wines. He does like his chardonnays with more oak, though. Ash camembert with Okanagan apple chips was paired with a Sandhill Viognier. Oh my god was that cheese good. And I really liked the wine (I traded for my sherry). A pancetta casalingo with quince was paired with Pentage Cabernet Franc. Now, I hate cabernet franc. What's supposed to be earthy tastes like muddy to me, and I swear I taste something moldy in every cab franc. So I'll say this - I didn't want to spit it out. Human # 1 absolutely loved it.

Human # 3 ordered the cheesemonger plate, three cheeses and condiments of the staff's choosing. A French Roquefort was paired with quince, and a British Comte was paired with Marcona almonds. However the best of the plate was a Jeune Mimolette with Spanish pressed date bread. The four of us - including one adamant non-foodie - nearly fought over it. To say it was awesome isn't enough.

The space was interesting - funky, halfway between a butcher's shop and a coffee shop. Very industrial chic. The menu changes constantly and is placed on the chalk board.

By the way, I'd love to see something like this locally!

Salt Tasting Room on Urbanspoon

No comments: