Friday, June 13, 2008

How to make pasta

This is dead simple, but a lot of my friends are "amazed" when I do it, and many ask me to teach them how to make pasta. I'm somewhat afraid that the magic will be lost after I post this, but, eh, it had to go sometime. If there's interest, I will post how to make vegan pasta, which is either blander (just ignore the egg) or slightly more complex (replace the egg). As is often the case in Nina-land, the hard work is done by the kitchenaid. I have an actual pasta machine, but you can get the kitchenaid attachment. Actually, it's totally easy to make up the pasta *without* the kitchenaid, but I'm pretty lazy. Good results also can happen by simply tossing into the kitchenaid, switching it on, and ignoring it - but following these directions yields a better texture. I often make all semolina pasta, but Human # 1 claims it upsets his stomach, and a 50/50 AP flour to semolina is best. Pasta made with only AP flour tastes bland to me, but hey, try it out and do what tastes best to you.

Also, in my NOT so humble opinion, the best way to eat fresh pasta is garlic and olive oil, a touch of salt and a crackle of pepper - and *nothing* else. But the rest of my family likes sauces.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup semolina flour
3/4 cup AP flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3 tablespoons olive oil
~ 2 tablespoons water

Method:
Mix together flours and the salt.

No comments: