Monday, September 17, 2012

Blueberry Nectarine Crumble

I'm allergic to peaches.  This is a problem in the summer in the mid-Atlantic, as everyone tends to, well, eat a lot of peaches.  When I was a kid I could at least eat cooked peaches - it's technically a blossom allergy and not a food allergy according to my allergist.  As I get older I am less able to deal with peaches of any kind.  Somehow, I have no problem whatsoever with nectarines.  Or, for that matter, blueberries.  So I decided to make nectarine and blueberry crumble.  The kid ate raw fruit but still hasn't accepted the idea that you would cook fruit.  Truth be told I can't say that I disagree with him - raw fruit is almost always better when its fresh and in season.  But we had a glut of blueberries and nectarines, and my husband likes baked fruit desserts, so off to the kitchen.

Ingredients:
3 nectarines, washed, pits removed, sliced into 1/8 pieces
1 lb blueberries, washed, picked over, and stemmed
1/2 cup sugar, depending on sweetness of fruit you can increase or not
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, cold, diced into pieces
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Cold water

Method:
Preheat oven to 350F.
Toss together fruit and 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Place fruit mixture in oven safe casserole dish or baking dish.
Cut butter, flour, remaining sugar, and remaining salt together until it resembles pebbles.
Splash in cold water and continue to cut until it's just slightly a sticky dough that's loose and falls apart easily.
Place on top of fruit mixture.
Bake for 45 minutes or until the crust is golden and the fruit mixture is sizzling a bit through the cracks.
Cool.
Serve with ice cream, whipped cream, or plain.




No comments: