Tuesday, March 3, 2009

South Mountain Veggie

OMG, this is so cool. Most of you know that I really liked joining the CSA - there were ups and downs with the CSA we chose last year, somethings that worked for our family and some things that did not. However, the biggest pain was actually getting there and picking up the delivery. We get South Mountain Creamery milk delivery already (despite my best efforts, I still almost never drink milk, though others in the household do). They're introducing this:

http://www.southmountainveggie.com/home.php

I am so excited! I do like farmer's markets, but too often on a weekend I'm working, travelling, or if not too darn busy with household projects to take the time to go. I try to, but making it a weekly event is stressful. Delivery conquers a lot of my problems with obtaining local produce.

Of course, since I'm self-centered, I only encourage you to sign up if you live near me and are likely to help make my neighborhood the first test area.

3 comments:

HowChow said...

This sounds terrific. How much do you think you would get for $25 or $35? That is a lot of vegetables. Was that the kind of price that you paid for your CSA last year?

I'm interested in this for myself and for HowChow!

Nina said...

Alas, Long Reach was not one of the first areas chosen. More about this year's CSA in another place.

Nina said...

Here's what South Mountain says:

Family Share/Medium Box

Our Family Share offers a variety of seasonal produce in a quantity that is ideal for couples for our full 26-week season. It's also a good bet for families that may not cook every day, but still want to have fresh, local and organic produce in their diet. The Medium Box contains less quantity and variety than the Veggie Madness Share.

For example you'll get: (menu will change every week with what is in season)

Greens
2 heads of lettuce (Two different types)
1 bunch of spinach
Root Vegetables
2 lbs of yellow onions
1 bunch of radishes
2 lbs of carrots
Classic Vegetables
1 Cauliflower
3 tomatoes
Fruit
7-8 apples





$35.00



Ideal for the one-person-household!

Our single share contains a variety of seasonal produce in a quantity that is ideal for a household of one. It's an affordable way to get started. The Small Box will give you a taste of the vegetables that are at their peak of ripeness each week. The variety and quantity will be less than the Medium Box.

For example, you'll get: (menu will change every week with what is in season)



Greens
1 head of lettuce
1 bunch of spinach
Root Vegetables
1 lbs of yellow onions
1 lbs of carrots
Classic vegetables
2-3 Tomatoes
1 Head Cauliflower
Fruit
3-4 apples



$25.00


Veggie Madness/Large Box

The Veggie Madness Share supplies our largest box of organic produce each week. The Large Box includes the best quantity and variety; ideal for a family of four or a couple with a veggie weakness. Vegetables, fruit and herbs are included as they mature with the season.

Example:

Greens
3 heads of lettuce (different types)
2 bunches of spinach
Root Vegetables
2 lbs of yellow onions
2 bunches of radishes
2 lbs of carrots
Classic Vegetables/Herbs
1 Cauliflower
2 Heads Broccoli
2-3 Tomatoes
Fruit
7-8 apples (peaches, pears, plums)
1 container of strawberries (or other berries)


Cost wise, it's a bit more than my CSA was last year. I think that was $34/week, which was $816 for a very long season. Shorter seasons run between $500-$700, depending on farm and size.

I personally think that much in produce is slighly high but not unreasonably so, since we tend to eat a veggie based diet, when I actually cook. It also saves me grocery time. Downside is that my husband is an on again off again devotee of the low carb diet (I tried it, it made me cry after 2 days), and I have food allergies. When I'm organized, and I hound him into remembering his lunch, the CSA is a massive money saver. When I'm disorganized, it's paying for wasted produce.